Thursday, December 24, 2009

These actresses are always overlooked in favour of the big names. But I've always prefered them to the big names because without them, movies would be boring.

The Life Of The Party (1930)
Winnie Lightner
She's loud, obnoxious, sometimes overdoes it, chews the scenery, she's kinda fat, not very pretty, and just ALL ROUND AWESOME. She stands out in everything she does.

ona
Ona Munson
Ok, so she was a shit actress (especially in The Hot Heiress -- lol), but she always stood out because of the interesting charaters she played. I *loved* her character in Five Star Final! Hehe! Trampy 30s broad!

morley
Karen Morley
Again, not the best actress, but I always thought she was pretty and elegant and played well with pre-code slimeballs mauling her. She was a great bitch in Are You Listening? I also always liked her voice.

nina mae mckinney 1929 - by ruth harriet louise
Nina Mae McKinney
A really good actress who only got to play "natives" and such nonsense!

Norma_Talmadge_1924_Vanity_Fair.62142853_large
Norma Talmadge
She was actually pretty huge in her day (late 1910s.) But because her best work was so early and only made 2 disastrous talkies, she has been lost to time :(

florence_lawrence
Florence Lawrence
I've never seen a single one of her films, but I think she was a very important figure in film. She was the first "movie star" to have her name recognized by the public. She was also apparently the first movie player to get mobbed by fans in 1910. 1909 to 1915 were her active years. She killed herself in 1938 by eating any paste.

scarface1
Ann Dvorak
Ann didn't play the Hollywood game and she got burned. But her output is fabulous. She's so glamourous and beautiful and GREAT in pre-codes. I have say, though, that as gorgeous as she was in the 1930s, she was a mess in the 1940s -- mostly due to really bad, unflattering 40s Hollywood hair :

marie_wilson
Marie Wilson
I *LOVE* her! The original "dumb blonde" and she played it so well! I love her in every movie I've seen her in, but I especially love her as Irma. I'd also like to give a shout out to Mabel Todd -- another 1930s "dumb blonde" who played it so well. 30s "dumb blondes" were way different than the 50s to the today. They had warmth, humour, an illogical sort of sense, and they were really likeable. They had dimension! Thanks to Marilyn, they are now just annoying.

And here are some more I never really liked:

ranier1
Luise Rainer
Boring. It's cool that she's still alive, though :)

Corinne-griffith
Corinne Griffith
Boring. One facial expression. No warmth. When I saw her in a talkie I almost died laughing. What a crap talkie actress!

llouise
I'm torn when it comes to Louise Brooks. She was the very first silent film star I became interested in and began all this vintage lifestyle nonsense, so I do have to give credit where it is due. I *did* have her haircut for 7 years. She *is* pretty. I *do* like quite a few of her films. BUT. She was a bad actress, pretentious, stuck-up, a whore (not in a good, interesting way, either, just a skank way), thought she was above everyone else, and really deserved what she had coming to her :/ BUT THEN AGAIN -- I like old, wise Louise Brooks. I'm torn.

greericon
Greer Garson
Put her in with the "one facial expression/no warmth" gang. I think she's pretty in this pic, though. Good hair.

lana
Lana Turner
I never got her appeal at all. She was a really bad actress, in my opinion (even though that usually doesn't stop me from liking someone -- lol.) And there are way better-looking out there. Actually, I think she's plain looking. Nothing grabs me. I like her plat hair here, though.

RULES for those who are passing through -- no crying because I don't like your fave, no getting fresh, no stating the obvious (I'm talking about appeal, not personal details). Also, disagree all you want (I'm not a crybaby LJ loser) and be discriptive and as passionate as you want, but please keep your humour and keep it real. Thanks ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY